Watching Sea Turtle

Few months ago I went to Ujung Genteng to see a sea turtle laying her eggs. The turtle came from the Indian ocean. It's a vast ocean that borders Indonesia on the south. Its waves is well known among surfers.

Before seeing the turtle my group and I released 2 baby turtles to the sea. Their sizes were half of my palm. After 30 years the baby turtles, that we released, will come back to the same shore to lay their eggs.

To see the mother turtle we had to walked 600 meters one way. Walking on the sand at 1 am was tiring and it was dark also. Our guide warned us not to point our flashlights to the sea because the sea turtles eyes were sensitive to light and they would feel threaten if they saw us going near to their nests.

Some minutes later we arrived at the nest of a turtle. The guide held us for few minutes for the turtle to have her some privacy. The turtle was huge. Twice times my size wide. The female turtle, that I saw that night, was 90 years old and very grumpy. She swung her flippers if we swarmed too close to her.

At that night there were also few groups beside mine. All of us were so eager to see the turtle closely. Flash light from our camera didn't stop taking her picture. The more eager we were, the grumpier the turtle became. I pity the turtle because some people pointed their flashy camera right to her eyes.

I couldn't stay long taking the turtle picture because I got dizzy looking at the flashy camera light. I could imagine how dizzy the turtle was.

Indonesia sea turtles are protected one of the endangered animals. Let's preserve and protect them.