Passive Sentence in Daily Indonesian Conversation

The basic word order of Indonesian is Subject Verb Object (SVO). However, I notice in daily conversation, my friends and I never speak SVO word order. We often use passive voice or Object Verb Subject (OVS) word oder. We also often omit the Subject in our conversation. Thus the word order becomes Object Verb (OV).

I think the reason, why we never use active sentence in daily life, is because active voice is more formal than the passive one. Even I speak in passive sentence to my parents and other older persons than myself. To add the level of politeness I choose polite words and combine it with passive form. I'll show you the examples below.

Situation 1:
My friend is reading a book but she keeps the TV on. I tell her to turn the TV off. I will say, "TVnya kalo ga ditonton dimatiin donk". The literal English translation is, "The TV if not watched, is turned off". The idiomatic translation is, "Turn the TV off if you're not watching it".

Situation 2:
I'm in my boss' room to ask him to sign a paper that have to be sent right away. I will say, "Pak tolong sekarang kertasnya ditandatangani karena harus secepatnya dikirimkan ke klien". The literal translation is, "Sir, please now the paper to be signed because it has to be sent to the client immediately". The idiomatic translation is, "Sir, please sign the paper now because it has to be sent to the client immediately". To add politeness I use the word "tolong". It's equal as "please" in this context.

My advice to Indonesian learners is to learn more passive sentences to sound more like the native. It's helpful in daily conversation because you're not talking too formal and it banishes the barrier of native and non-native speakers. Enjoy learning!